Share/Bookmark

Don't Judge it until you've tried it- Kwaito

No comment yet


When I first met the guy who was destined to be my boyfriend, I called him a douche bag and put him smack bang in the centre of the friend zone. We became such good friends that he even began dating one of my friends from school. Who knew a year later he'd turn into my knight in shining armour and that I, the queen of screwing up relationships, would be blissfully in love.

I happend to also reject Kwaito in the same way simply because I could not understand the lyrics and lacked the ability to dance to the music. I friend zoned Kwaito. To my dismay a college project required  me to research the genre and with the help of good old Google I was finally able to understand its purpose and origin.

"The music of the Urban youth" is what it's described as and that doesn't sound too different to what I listen to. The only difference is the tempo, the language and the distinct "gangster"edge that all the songs contain. This post apartheid genre that emerged from the Soweto township youth in the 90's lead a wave of sound that played an intrinsic role in the social and political issues of South Africa. The music left traditional parents screaming at their offspring to "Turn that shit down", a saying I distinctly remember in my rebellious youth. However instead of blasting my NOFX "Don't call me white" single with hardcore riffs at every corner, I imagine the youth of Kwaito would blast Arthur Mafakote's "Don't call me Kaffir" with a sweet beat to get down to.

The mutual struggle for equality and freedom from judgement and stereotyping is a platform to bring these two genres together.

Another aspect of Kwaito that I enjoy is the lyrical field which focuses on life in the township,girls and partying which are real life situations the listeners can relate to. Although I cannot relate, I am certainly learning about a new culture and I see that as much as the genre exposes the township problems, it also creates an escape from general life problems and dwells on the more positive side.

As an originally oppressed township, the youth have now found the confidence and correct medium to voice their opinions and have the freedom to speak their mind questioning anything they see as socially inept. Kwaito is more than a genre, it is a way of life. It speaks of the Ghetto, the drugs and the drinking but also celebrates the freedom and in a town that is predominantly under the age of 21, it ensures that they will never forget where they came from. It is the sound of the township, the sound of home.


Pantsula

Post a Comment

What do you think? Tell us...

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 Pulp music! | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER