Share/Bookmark

Get your daily dose of vitamins! Fruit and Veggies

No comment yet


These are not something you find in your refrigerator, you may find them in Spar but definitely not in the edible section unless you are a vampire or a cannibal. They are fresh from the street of Durban emerging from the heart of Umbilo in 2008. A band that is fuelled by raw talent and screaming fans as well as an unforgettable stage presence and the ability to get people on their feet and jigging on the dance floor.

I was a young teenager sneaking out the back win
dow to a getaway vehicle to attend rock 'n roll gigs with my fellow trouble makers. Looking back is awfully nostalgic and I have many memories that have been lost to the many Vodka and coke combinations. One of those memories was the first time I partied to Fruit and Veggies, a band I had previously thought to be a sack of potatoes and a bag of oranges who actually (and this is very rare for local bands) blew my mind.  She probably doesn't remember this but I met Purity their lead singer in the ladies toilets at some grungy punk gig on the outskirts of Scumbilo. She had a couple of brightly coloured braids, piercings and enough tattoos to let me know that this was one hardcore sista. Five minutes later she was on stage with the rest of the band letting loose a powerful sound that was completely new, raw, uncut and in my opinion fucking amazing.

Since then they have been tearing up every stage with a combination of Afro Punk-rock reggae and hardcore gypsy-scar that according to Levis mag is "pure genre-breaking liberation". They describe themselves as the 'drunkest, rudest, most homeless band this side of the equator', quite appropriate for this Durban style rebel band who takes living life to the fullest very seriously. The best part about their gigs is that you are more than likely to party with the band members at some stage in the night. I've found myself at too many of their gigs to count whether it's moshing it out at Live, dancing with Loopi at the Winston or gypsy dancing at Splashy fen, I always know it's gonna be a night of catchy hooks, fierce attitude and alotta laughs.

Meet the band - You probably already have if you're a regular in the 031

Purity- Powerful and wild vocals that will make you wonder, "where does all that sound come from?"
Loopy-Bassist with a big personality. I have never met someone so dedicated to the cause of getting everyone inebriated.
Cameron- The come back kid who was so quiet in my class in grade 8 and 9. Taught me my first song on guitar and he is now a Guitar shredding god! (I cannot believe we are the same age! What am I doing with my life?"
James- Guitar/Keys, very talented and always up for a challenge
Big bear- Drums. Sweat. Shirtless. 'Nuff said.

What makes them awesome?

  • Original groundbreaking genres
  • blistering stage presence
  • Dedicated to the 031
  • You are not just part of the crowd, you are part of the experience, they are the manifestation of the embodiment of the Durban rebel scene.
  • Balls to the wall music
  • Guaranteed good time or your money back!
Check them out! They are the pioneers of new genre in the 031 and have created greater horizons for our music scene.. If you look carefully, I managed to party my way into their music video!




Post a Comment

What do you think? Tell us...

HOME | ABOUT

Copyright © 2011 Pulp music! | Powered by BLOGGER | Template by 54BLOGGER